Sheyda Research 2006

This blog is a virtual diary of my travels to Iran from June 30 to August 17, 2006. The nature of my travel is to research the ways a master craft-artist mentors an apprentice in the traditional arts of Iran.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Mazandaran, the Emerald of Iran





Mazandaran is the region by the Caspian Sea. It is lush, crusted with trees, flowers, and plants. The Alborz Mountains roll into the Caspian Sea, creating a scene that is an artist's dream come true. I will let the images do the talking. Yes, this is indeed Iran; each corner of it adorned with a different gift from nature.




This is me wearing a Ghasem Abadi traditional dress. I bought the dress in Ramsar after driving here and there through the streets, looking for the place where they were made, asking directions, etc. Two women ran a very small storefront. They had their sewing machines in the front of the store and yards of colorful fabric on the tables. A small changing room in the back provided the privacy needed to try on the clothing. I told them that I wanted the full traditional clothing, and they pulled out a few different ones. I finally settled on this combination. Ghasem Abad is a small village in Mazandaran Province (by the Caspian Sea) and their traditional clothing is the most sought after, due to the colors and design.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shakonn is actually Shahrokh Khajenouri, your cousin!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home