Sheyda Research 2006

This blog is a virtual diary of my travels to Iran from June 30 to August 17, 2006. The nature of my travel is to research the ways a master craft-artist mentors an apprentice in the traditional arts of Iran.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Ostaad Pashai at Miraseh Farhangi

I met with Ostaad Pashai at Miraseh Farhangi (Cultural Heritage) today. Ostaad Pashai is a clay master and was a bit hesitant at first to meet with me, but as soon as I sat down and talked to him about the ways I teach clay, he became interested. I told him that I didn't just teach the techniques to the students, but rather tried very hard to pull out their creative abilities also. I told him about the courses I had to take in order to receive my degree in art education, including artistic development. He started talking to me and didn't stop for two hours. I will be going there on Sunday to observe him. The ceramics there were exceptional with detailed designs, intricate patterns, and colorful glazes. The students (mostly female) are under contract with the offices of Cultural Heritage to work on the pots and glazes under the supervision of Ostaad Pashai. These students are actually well educated in the art of ceramics, but not at the same caliber as the Ostaad. He mostly supervises and helps when necessary. It should be an interesting observation under different conditions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderfull, I hope you are buying some of his pottery. I am sure you already have, right. This sounds like someone I would like to meet when we go back together.
Tim

7:36 PM  
Blogger Sheyda said...

No, I haven't bought any pottery at all!

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home