Sheyda Research 2006

This blog is a virtual diary of my travels to Iran from June 30 to August 17, 2006. The nature of my travel is to research the ways a master craft-artist mentors an apprentice in the traditional arts of Iran.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mokarrameh: Iran's "Grandma Mosses"

These two paintings are by the "Grandma Mosses" of Iran: Mokarrameh. Born in 1928, she started painting at the age of 70 with the encouragement of her son who purchased the materials for her to keep her busy. She lived in a little village in Mazandaran (the Caspian Sea region), was illiterate, was never formally taught art, and was abused by her much older husband. She painted for ten years before she died; painting on any surface she could find with tempera paint. She even painted the walls of her house, inside and outside. I had heard of her and had visited her website a few years ago and always loved the freshness and innocence of her work. I met her son through Ramin, went to his house, and will be working with him next summer in an art center which he plans on opening in her memory in the village. Her house is a museum now. I have promised to help put up a show of her work in a gallery in the USA.

I purchased these two paintings! They are 12 x 18 each. They are so beautiful!

Mom and her good friend, Aghdas Farbood. We had lunch at her house today. I went over with Vida Zaim, after visiting Mokarrameh's son, Ali. Vida knows the Farboods and I told her to come, albeit for a short time. Her infant daughter was with Mr. Zaim at home and she was a a bit worried. Vida and I walked over from Ali's apartment to the Farbood's house, right around the corner and around Ferdowsi Square (which is really a circle).

This is Mr. Farbood, having a nap. We had a good time with them. I was downloading the photos from my camera onto their computer and Mr. Farbood was taking a nap on the sofa. He has such a fun sense of humor!

Later on, we had dinner at Tous' house. From L to R are cousins: Shahrokh, Sheyda, Tous, Dariush. It's sad to think I'll only be in Iran one more day, but I look forward to seeing my family back in the USA. It's such a dilemma, this separation from families. I miss my Iranian family here when I'm in the USA, and I miss my own family in the USA when I'm here....

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheyda said...

Shahrokh joon, if you look like the Dalea Lama, it's because you are holy! Haparoot!!! Ha, I hadn't heard that in such a long time!! Ba ba joon, are you still awake? We must really be beekar to be up at this time of the night working on blogs!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Sheyda said...

Oh, yes, I might do a show here in Iran with my watercolors. Thanks. Not a bad idea....

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home