Sheyda Research 2006

This blog is a virtual diary of my travels to Iran from June 30 to August 17, 2006. The nature of my travel is to research the ways a master craft-artist mentors an apprentice in the traditional arts of Iran.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ostaad Elahi, Master Glass Blower


Some of the glassware ready for packing.


The man in the white shirt is not Ostaad Elahi, but rather one of his better apprentices. The one in the red shirt is a beginner apprentice.


Displays in the office.


Seated in the white shirt is Ostaad Elahi, the other two are apprentices.

It was very interesting to visit Ostaad Elahi's workshop today. First of all, he is the boss and therefore I did not need to deal with a lot of bureaucracy. He allowed me to interview him right then and there, take pictures, video tape the whole process of glass blowing, and even walk around the many HOT kilns that were being used. His workers were very humble people and did not even look me in the eye at first. This was out of respect, not insult (unlike some others in the past). I was encouraged by Ostaad Elahi to walk and video the shagerds, or the apprentices, as they worked. They never complained. It was a great experience and I'm going back tomorrow and Wednesday. Ramin wants to come also. The workshop is located in the south-eastern outskirts of Tehran and Mom asked Ebrahim, our olden days driver, to take me today. (She came also.) I think she was worried about the location since it's in a very industrial area. Ebrahim will be taking me the next two days, sans Mom. Sometimes I feel as if I'm still the teenager she used to control with an iron fist all those years gone by (and please, no comments).

Ostaad Elahi told me that they ship their glassware to Europe, Canada, and the USA. Glassware shipped to the USA is marked "Made in Azerbaijan". What a shame. Mom said they should put "Made in Persia" like the rugs in IKEA. Not a bad idea at all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom that glassware is sooooo cooool the pics look awsome. glad you dont have to deal with bureaucracy. love you lots miss you.

-Bijhan

7:47 PM  
Blogger Sheyda said...

Shahrokh joon, no. Plain and simple, no. There is no artistic impulse in the work. The glass itself is an ancient craft, and a great one at that, but unfortunately, one or two styles are done over and over again. So much can be done with glass here in Iran, yet all the glassblowers create the same kinds of work.

Bijhan, wish you were here. Miss you very much. Love you even more.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mommy!

I'm sorry I haven't been leaving comments, but I miss you very much and been having great time with Neda and Richard. The pictures are beautiful! I hope you're making lots of sketches and watercolors. The picture of you in the dress is gorgeous as well! I like Parvins comment about Ikea too. Today Richard and I went to the Los Angeles County Musuem of Art and saw the Hockney exibit; great stuff and Richard really liked his photo work.
Well, I'l be home tomorow, wish you were there when I arrive.

Love you and miss you lots,

xoxo to you, Parvin, and Ramin
Ariane

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sheyda
I also like the vase with the small handles on the side,
on the right of this photo on the 3rd shelf from the bottom.
Sounds like your having great fun.
Tim

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home